Most people know that a product labeled as biodegradable is considered an eco-friendly option, but not many know what the term actually means, or the harm that a non-biodegradable product can cause.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss not only what biodegradable means, but also help you find the best industrial-grade biodegradable paint remover for your company’s needs.
What Does it Mean if a Product Is Biodegradable?
If a product is biodegradable, it means that it is usually non-hazardous, can decompose in the environment, and does not accumulate.
Unfortunately, many paint removers contain methylene chloride and other harmful chemicals that may eventually biodegrade but are air pollutants that will contribute to ozone depletion and harm the environment before being decomposed.
Other risks associated with methylene chloride include:
- Likely to be carcinogenic, as evidence shows that high levels of exposure are linked to liver and lung cancer
- Neurotoxin (meaning it can damage the brain and central nervous system)
- Can cause severe eye irritation and damage
- Can cause respiratory irritation, coughing, and wheezing
- Inhalation may cause dizziness, nausea, or even unconsciousness
- Is readily absorbed through the skin
Those searching for a biodegradable and eco-friendly paint remover are most likely searching for a safer option that does not pose as many health risks. Luckily, there are multiple options available that are biodegradable, significantly less toxic, and ensure a safer work environment.
What Are Some Examples of Biodegradable Paint Removers?
A common example that is becoming increasingly popular is acetone-based products, which are usually inexpensive and are not a concern for the environment or humans at normal exposure levels. Another example is soy-based products that are derived from soybean oil and are biodegradable and non-ozone depleting.
Individuals searching for a specifically formulated industrial solvent may be more interested in a product like Safe Strip.
Safe Strip is an environmentally preferred paint and resin solvent that effectively replaces hazardous solvents like methylene chloride and benzene. The benefits of the paint remover highly outweigh the few benefits of hazardous solvents, and include the following:
- No ozone-depleting substances
- Low VOC emissions
- Removes coatings in one step
- Reliable performance, similar to methylene chloride
- Can be used in gun cleaning tanks, immersion tanks, or as a brush-on, rinse-off solvent
Interested in Purchasing Safe Strip?
Safe Strip can be purchased from Ecolink, a chemical supplier that offers an array of eco-friendly options that also ensure a safer work environment. If you would like to purchase Safe Strip, reach out to our staff by clicking here!