safe-chemicals

Acetone Chemicals: First Aid Measures for Overexposure

Acetone is a naturally occurring and synthesized organic compound whose scientific formula was discovered in 1832 by chemists Jean-Baptiste Dumas and Justus von Liebig. Since then, acetone chemicals have been used for various purposes around the globe, with fingernail polish removal being the most popular application.

Acetone chemicals work like a dream for stripping away tough layers of dry fingernail polish. When formulated as industrial strength solvents, the chemicals can Also remove many other substances, including: a variety of glues, oil and grease, accretions on glass and porcelain, and various types of accumulations on laboratory glassware.

Acute Overexposure

Along with acetone’s remarkable ability to remove coatings comes the possibility of overexposure to the chemical compound. Acetone is not considered toxic, mutagenic, or carcinogenic, but it can still cause negative health effects if workers receive too much exposure.

Below are four first aid measures you can take to combat acute overexposure to acetone chemicals. Please note that these measures are for exposure to acetone and may need to be expanded when acetone is blended with other chemicals that carry their own risks.

  1. Inhalation

Acute overexposure to acetone from inhalation seems to cause the most effects, particularly: nose and throat irritation, headache, dizziness, nausea, drowsiness, confusion, and fainting. Workers who experience these symptoms should be moved to a fresh air environment. If symptoms don’t resolve quickly, professional medical attention should be sought.

  1. Eye Contact

Overexposure to acetone chemicals can make your eyes red, sore, and teary. Effects can usually be banished quickly by flushing the eyes with a gentle stream of warm water for about 20 minutes, without first removing contact lenses. If symptoms persist, seek professional medical attention.

  1. Skin Contact

Acute overexposure seldom causes skin problems, except mild irritation. If acetone is spilled on a worker, affected clothing should be discarded and washed thoroughly. Then, affected skin should be washed with a gentle stream of warm water for roughly five minutes. If the irritation causes pain or persists after skin is washed, get professional medical attention.

  1. Ingestion

Acetone is seldom ingested, but when it happens to be swallowed in large amounts, effects mirror those for overexposure by inhalation. Washing out the mouth with warm water can reduce discomfort. Seek medical attention if the worker has a severely upset stomach or feels generally unwell.

About Ecolink

Ecolink has years of experience in supplying environmentally safe and environmentally preferred industrial cleaning solvents. Our customers are companies and organizations that have industrial, solvent-based applications that require the use of eco friendly solvents.

In addition to offering a wide selection of stock products, we also provide custom blends that are tailored to your unique requirements. To ensure a solvent works as expected for your needs, we offer free samples, so you can try before you buy.

For more information about acetone chemicals, please call us today at 800-563-1305, or send us an email at info@ecolink.com. We look forward to helping you choose the best solutions for your solvent applications!